Friday, December 25, 2009

A quick Timeline on Chris Treborn

Born and raised in the SF Bay Area I grew up in diversity. After moving away from the gang violence I found new friends and found new ways to express myself. I became an artist (from tagging to drawing up comic books), as well as a story teller, and then a poet.

Me and my friend from across the street wrote our first rap song called Rocket Rap to the beat with the same title from a Sega Genesis game Toe-Jam & Earl.

I created 2 comic books on my own when I was 10. I forget the name but my Dad still has them. When I was 12 I wrote a short story called The Knight of Darkness.

Me and my neighborhood friends used to re-write songs and record our versions on a Karaoke Machine that I had. We were mainly inspired by groups in the early 90s like Kris Kross, Boyz II Men, etc.

When my baby sister died in 1996 (at 87 days old) I was inspired to write songs with morals. After I got saved in 1998 we formed a Christian Rap Group featuring my friends U-Niq and DJ Craz, as well as me; T.E.A.R.Z. which stands for The Endless And Relentless Zephyr.

In 2000 - I preached diversity once I moved to The Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I wrote a 500 word essay based on the Dr. Suess story about The Sneetches and won first place. My essay was exactly 500 words and was all in poetry format. It was published in the Mining Journal - a local newspaper on Dr Suess’ birthday.

From 1999-2001 I recorded a 17 track demo on CD using a 4-track. I recorded my first Studio Song in 2002 called The Zephyr’s Endeavor which is based on my essay. At this time, I was still known as T.E.A.R.Z.

In 2003 I performed for the first time in front of an audience. I met a Bishop of a Southern Baptist Church in Sacramento, and he invited me to rap for his congregation. At the time I didn’t know what I was really doing. I was overwhelmed by the 100 people watching me on stage in front of the Choir. It was filmed and broadcast on Local TV. My song was called; My Love, My Faith, My Trust - a love poem about God and inspired by Revelation 3:20.

In 2004 I wrote an anthem inspired by my then job - In-N-Out Burger. A co-worker and I spend 3 hours creating the music for it. It became super popular with my store and I made copies for other stores. I gave the song to corporate and they asked me to perform it at their company picnic. The performance was filmed and they created a music video out of it.

In 2005 I met a lot of Christian Rappers that wanted to connect and make music with me. A group of us formed a ministry/fellowship and called ourselves T.K.O. - which stands for The Kingdom’s Ours! (Matthew 5:10). We toured the central valley of California as well as the Tri-Valley/East Bay.

In 2006 my life changed and I prepared for a new start. Inspired by 2 Corinthians 5:17 - I became a new creature and moved to Salem after a failed attempt to move to Portland. Since then I’ve had more time to focus on my music.