Monday, March 2, 2009

Northwest Independent Christian Artists, let's UNITE!

2008 was a year of personal growth and realization. As a Christian, I realized that selling records was not my goal. As an artist, I realized to make money from your music you cannot leave out the option of merchandise. It seems as though people love seeing you perform for free and love you even more if you hand out free cds.

In 2006 and 2007 I handed out 1000 CDs in mixtapes and singles. So I figured I should have a manufactured CD - packaged and ready to sell in any store. Even with a Free Poster, these CDs didn't leave my possession as quick as I expected.

We all need to understand, welcome, and embrace the new world and digital age. Having your music online is essential these days. Everyone has an album for sell on iTunes for $9.99. Now, the "new" thing is EPs and Singles. Why release a 12-15 song album when you can sell your songs at $.99 each.

I have released digital albums with bonus songs and extended versions to help the album get exposure. The best way to further your album is to follow the footsteps of Braille. He released his The IV Edition as an Instrumental album, AND an A Capella album. An artist can potentially triple the sells and open up the opportunity for other artists to use your beats or vocals for their remixes, mixtapes, and so on. Its a blessing all around.

Another great way to promote the music is a Podcast. I have been wanting to be a part of a Podcast in any way. Fresh Mann shared the idea of Video Blogging and offering fans the opportunity to send in questions to be answered. This is a great idea and should be taken further and include music by indie artists. I would like to increase the possibility of exposure of artists without labels by sharing their music, news, updates and interviews. I hope they can use this media to share their mission, ideas, & dreams for their music.

As this continues to weigh on my heart, I have been encouraged and inspired by Podcasts such as the Wade-O Radio Show. My goal is not only to help promote my own music, but others in the same position as me.

~

With all this being said, I will share with you my game plan for 2009.

~

Goals to accomplish;

A. MUSIC ENDEAVOR for 2009

1st - Record the 30 songs I wrote last year.
.: 2 Albums; [Memory Box] &